Sunday, May 9, 2010

Half-Marathon Success

So today was the Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon. And it was a success!! I can't believe that I can now say with confidence that I have run a half marathon. Do I qualify as an actual runner now instead of a person who runs?! The weather was perfect (although a bit chilly in the beginning) save for running against the wind for the last 2-3 miles. I managed to keep up with my running partner for the first loop of the race (roughly 6.5 miles) but I quickly fell behind for the second loop. I was kind of expecting that since she runs 9 minute miles and I run 9:30. My final time was 2:04:30, averaging a 9:31 minute mile. Right on target. I really couldn't have asked for much more since it was my first half and being able to run a 9 minute mile for the whole 13.1 would have been really pushing it. I was a little worried about the last 5k since the longest distance I had run leading up to the race was only 10 miles, but the last few miles were just a blur. I'm only a little bit stiff and not that sore (yet). I've also discovered the Power Bar goos. I only had vanilla today, but that was pretty good, although a little sticky and sweet.

This week I officially start the MCM training schedule, but it'll be pretty low-key for a while. I am really considering registering for the VA Beach Half since that will be a nice easy distance to run in training for the marathon by the time it comes around.

I'm still excited about completing the half! I can't believe I did it!


No comments:

Post a Comment