Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What Turned Out To Be A Half-Marathon Walk

I've been in New Haven, CT (well, technically Hamden) for the past few days.  I didn't think I'd get much running or exercising in on the trip, even though I was hopeful.  Yesterday my friend and I were planning on going for a little hike but ended up just walking to the school she teaches at.  The school is 6.5 miles away...and for some reason when I agreed to this I forgot to add the mileage for the way back!  So we literally ended up walking a half-marathon.  It took us about 5 hours with a coffee break and stopping to relax in her classroom for 30 minutes to eat pretzels and skim through her 5th graders' books.  Given the fact that I run on a pretty regular basis at pretty decent distances, by the end of our walk I was unbelievably SORE and famished.  It was fun though and I'm glad we went on this little adventure.  New Haven has some pretty cute houses.  On our walk back we passed by several runners enjoying the flatness of the city.  There is definitely a pretty decent stretch for a flat and scenic run.  Given I come from the land of steep hills, switchbacks, and subtle inclines I am pretty envious.  

Later today we're heading to Boston, just a few days late of the Boston Marathon.  Maybe I'll walk some of the distances the runners ran...at incredible speeds.  

Anyways, it's off to Boston for the day then hitting the rails (7.5 hour train ride) tomorrow to get back to home sweet home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment