Friday, September 10, 2010

13 Miles Later

The MCM is less than 8 weeks away. I can't believe that it has snuck up on me so quickly! Thankfully, I've finally been able to go on some longer runs. Keyword: longER not long. I've done two 10-mile runs in the past 2 weeks, which were relatively successful. I was running from my house past all the Arlington metro stops and into DC to Farragut West via Georgetown. I realized that Georgetown is way too full of foot traffic and stop lights to make it a successful and efficient run. Not to mention, the whole way back is pretty much uphill.

Yesterday I went for my first half marathon run since the actual half marathon I ran in May. I definitely felt better about it than the race itself. I ran a totally new route and I'm pretty happy with it. I took the Custis Trail from Lee Hwy and Kirkwood St to the Mt. Vernon Trail, past the airport and back. The only downside is there is some construction near Gravelly Point for a new humpback bridge so the trail tacks a detour into the GW Parkwa, where you are running pretty much against traffic with the protection of only some cement guardrails. But all in all it's relatively flat once you get to Mt. Vernon Trail and it's pretty to run along the water. Running next to the airport itself isn't too scenic, except for the fact you get to watch planes. I managed to complete the run in 2:02, with only one stop for a brief stretch and a Gu. The last 1.5 miles is all uphill (rolling hills) but I managed to gain back most of my energy for that last sprint. By the end I wasn't even too fatigued. My knees had started to get sore and I desperately needed more water and an energy bar. Today I'm not too sore either. So all in all I think it was a very successful run!

I've registered for Clarendon Day's 10K in 2 weeks. I think it'll be a fun and relaxing race. I haven't run a 10K race since the MCM 10K last October. I am curious to see what my time will be since my base run has been the distance of 6 miles pretty consistently for several months. I also registered for the Heritage Half the first weekend in October. I think by that point it will be an easy half. The mileage is definitely not where I would want to be at that point for the marathon, but it'll help me train with the weather and terrain and getting into the mental state of racing. I would ideally like to get two 20-mile runs in before the MCM. I just need to find the time to do so, because it's a big time commitment. It also gets pretty boring. My running partner has hurt his knee so has been unable to train with me yet.

Thankfully I get out of work around 4, so I know that I can fit in a half before the sun sets (as of now). I've been told that if I can run 13 miles, I can run 26.2. Somehow I still find the concept of doubling my farthest distance VERY daunting. But I'm sure the thrill of the race, all the people cheering and runners, music, water stations, and snacks along the way will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment